- images/ICELAND/snowmobile-at-vatnajokull-glacier-in-iceland.jpeg, Snowmobile on Vatnajokull glacier, Snowmobile tour on Vatnajokull glacier in Iceland, Vatnajokull, Iceland
SNOWMOBILING TOURS IN ICELAND
Add a dash of adventure to your trip to Iceland and join one of the snowmobiling tours in Iceland. There is no better way to explore the vastness of the glaciers in Iceland than taking part in a snowmobile tour. You will feel the freedom of riding a snowmobile and witness amazing views of the glaciers. You can choose between different glaciers in Iceland, including the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajökull; the closest to Reykjavík, Langjökull; or the ones along the South Coast.
- What is a glacier snowmobile and why should I take a snowmobiling tour?
- A snowmobile is an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) specially designed for traveling on ice and snow. Instead of wheels, they have rubber tracks and are steered with skis. Glacier snowmobiling is one the most popular activities in Iceland and the best and easiest way to have an adventure on a glacier. It's like riding a quad bike or motorcycle, but more fun because you're on snow! Iceland is known as the "land of ice and fire", as glaciers and volcanoes can be found all around the island. More than 10% of Iceland is covered in glaciers, so take advantage of your trip to Iceland and explore one of them by joining a snowmobiling tour. Only a very few places in the world will allow you to live the experience of riding a snowmobile on a glacier ice sheet that is hundreds of meters thick.
- Can I ride a snowmobile in Iceland?
- As long as you have a valid driving license you can ride a snowmobile in Iceland. You don't need previous experience to join these tours. If you don't have a valid driving license you can join the tour if someone from your group can drive the snowmobile (while you sit behind the driver). Each snowmobile is for two people, so only one of you needs to have a driving license.
- How many glaciers are in Iceland where I can join a snomobiling tour?
- There are 4 glaciers in Iceland where you can ride a snowmobile and here you have all the details:
- Vatnajökull glacier: It is the largest glacier in Europe and is located in the southeast of Iceland. The most famous places on the Vatnajökull glacier are the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and Diamond beach, both a must for anyone in the area. After reaching the vicinity of the glacier, you can join the snowmobiling tour departing from Vagnsstaðir hostel.
Mýrdalsjökull glacier and its glacial tongue Sólheimajökull: Mýrdalsjökull glacier is the fourth largest glacier in Icelandl and is located near the amazing Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls, making it the perfect plan for a day trip in southern Iceland. The glacial tongue Sólheimajökull is the most famous area because the hiking tours on the glacier take place here. This is also the pick up point for the Snowmobiling tours.
Langjökull glacier: Langökull glacier is the second largest in Iceland and the closest to Reykjavík, which means you can do the snowmobiling tour directly from the capital! Of course, if you are travelling on your own you can choose the pick up at Gullfoss, a closer location to the glacier. You can also book a snowmobiling tour including the visit of an ice cave or the famous ice tunnel under Langjökull glacier.
Eyjafjallajökull glacier: This unpronounceable is the sixth largest in Iceland and another option to take part in a snowmobiling tour in South Iceland. It is not far from Mýrdalsjökull glacier and it became famous throughout the world after the eruption in 2010. Today you can explore this glacier on a snowmobile tour with the pick up at Gljúfrabúi base. (you can also add the pick up from Reykjavík!).
- What can I do in the glacier in Iceland apart from a snowmobiling tour?
If you want more adventures on a glacier, check our glacier hiking tours, ice cave tours and more. We offer some special tours that include not only the snowmobile activity but also a visit to the ice tunnel inside the glacier or a natural ice cave. Also, if you are travelling on your own around the Vatnajökull area, you can book different tours for the same day, such as the boat tour on Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon or the glacier hiking tour from Skaftafell (as long as the schedules are good for it). If you have any doubt, contact us and we will prepare the best travel plans for you!
Can I ride the snowmobile on my own?
If you want to ride a snowmobile on you own, you need to have a valid driving license and add this option as an extra in the reservation panel. If you are coming on your own to the tour or your group is an odd number you are obliged to do so as well.
What is included in a snowmobiling tour in Iceland?
The snowmobiling tours in Iceland include the transfers from the pick up point to the place where the snowmobiles are, an English speaking guide and all the necessary equipment. You will receive all the necessary instructions before riding the snowmobile. Remember that each snowmobile is for 2 people. If you solo or an odd numbered group or if you simply wish to ride alone on the snowmobile, you have to add this option at an extra cost in the reservation panel.
When can I join a snowmobiling tour in Iceland?
Snowmobile tours on the Langjökull Glacier are available all year round. The tour on Mýrdalsjökull glacier runs between the months of March and November and the tours on Vatnajökull glacier between April and October.
Important note: All activities in the Icelandic nature are carried out under the own responsibility of the clients. ISLANDICA s.r.o. is not responsible for any accidents that may occur during the activities or due to the actions of the participants. The people who participate in these outings are accepting these conditions when booking a tour. ID 834