ICELAND GLACIER TOURS - EXPLORE THE ICE GIANTS
Did you know that more than 10% of Iceland is covered by glaciers? Book one of these Iceland glacier tours and delve into the world of ice. Only in this way can you get up close and personal to one of the most fascinating sides of Icelandic nature. Icelanders call glaciers "jökull", hence the tours take place on the Vatnajökull glacier, the largest in Europe; the Langjökull glacier, the closest to Reykjavík and in the west of the island; on the Mýrdalsjökull glacier in southern Iceland; or on the Snaefellsjökull glacier, on the Snaefellsnes peninsula.
- What type of Iceland glacier tours are offered?
- The offer of day trips and tours to glaciers is varied. Glaciers in Iceland have a considerable impact on the island's landscapes and meteorology, covering 11% of the country's surface, which is about 11,400 km². As you can see above, we offer tours on different glaciers, such as the impressive Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Europe. In addition, you can choose the type of excursion that you like the most: ice crampon walks for all levels, SuperJeep tours, combo tours, boat tours of the glacial lagoons, snowmobiles, visit to the ice caves, etc. To get to see and appreciate a glacier in Iceland up close, you just have to book one of the glacier day tours that you can see above.
- Where do the glacier tours in Iceland take place?
- We offer tours on different glaciers and with various departure locations. The Vatnajökull Glacier is the largest glacier in Europe and is located in the southeast of Iceland, occupying some 8,000 km2, which is 8% of the total surface of Iceland. The Mýrdalsjökull glacier is located in southern Iceland, to visit you can book glacier tours from Reykjavík or you can go on your own to the glacier area and book one of the glacier day tours that start in the same glacier area. Langjökull Glacier is the second largest glacier in Iceland and the closest to the capital Reykjavík. There you can go on snowmobile tours or visit the ice tunnel. And those who have read Jules Verne will undoubtedly know the majestic Snaefellsjökull glacier, on the Snaefellsnes peninsula.
- How can you book or make a reservation for an Iceland glacier tour?
- We recommend booking tours in advance online, because places are limited (or, otherwise, a minimum number of people is required for each trip). To book you just have to click on the excursion in which you are interested. There you can read all the details and check the prices and the dates and times of departure. Once you are clear, you just have to fill out a small form and pay for your reservation. In a minute you will have everything ready and you will have the voucher in your email.
- What is included in the glacier tours in Iceland?
- On the Vatnajökull glacier there are day tours for all levels. The classic tour departs from Skaftafell National Park, is 2.5-3 hours long and requires no previous experience. Includes the necessary equipment and English-speaking guide. You can also choose the 5-hour "Vatnajökull Explorer" day tour, suitable for anyone in good physical shape (over 15 years old). Or if you already have experience, take a bit more daring tour with "Extreme Vatnajökull Glacier".
In addition, during the summer we offer a SuperJeep excursion, ideal for the whole family.
Tours and trips to the Mýrdalsjökull Glacier are moderate, for ages 14 and up, and can be booked from Glacier Base Camp or Reykjavík. On the other hand, in the Snaefellsjökull glacier the excursion is difficult and is only suitable for experienced people.
Important Note: All activities in the Icelandic nature are carried out under the responsibility of the clients. ISLANDICA sro is not responsible for possible accidents that participants may suffer during activities or due to their actions. People who participate in these outings are accepting these conditions when booking the tour. They may be required to sign an exemption prior to their execution, stating that they are aware that all outdoor activity carries an inherent risk - ID811